National Honor Society
NHS membership is based on Scholarship, Service, Leadership, and Character.
All Juniors and Seniors with a cumulative 3.40 (weighted) GPA are considered for NHS. The students fill out a Student Activity Information Form and are evaluated on the basis of Service, Leadership, and Character. Inductions of those students selected are held in the fall of the Junior and Senior year.
Julia Bakhru, GT Resource Teacher (Julia_Bakhru@hcpss.org)
Randi Trzesinski, Media Specialist, (Randi_Trzesinski@hcpss.org)
President: Noah Kalodner-Martin
Vice President: Gavin Kohn
Secretary: Leah Roberts
Treasurer: C.C. Denne
Historian: Joni Kim
Parliamentarian: Gintare Meizys
This version of the bylaws was approved by a 2/3 majority of voting members on January 12, 2016. If a member has a question/concern about any of the bylaws, please see one of the officers.
The following version of the NHS National Constitution was approved for all chapters on November 6, 2015, by the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) Board of Directors. This is the most recent edition for use by chapters.
Includes additional information and guidance on the NHS National Constitution.
Please complete all sections of the Student Activity Form. All information must be typed, printed, signed by you and your Parent/Guardian, and submitted to Ms. Trzesinski or Mrs. Bakhru no later than Friday, September 9, 2016. Do not be modest. Every bit of information will be used by the Faculty Council to assist with the fair consideration of your candidacy during the selection process.
Completion and submission of this form does not guarantee selection.
Responsibilities of Members:
- Maintain 3.40 cumulative GPA (weighted)
- Participate in chapter service projects and individual service activities (32 hours/year)
- Accept leadership resonsibilities
- Model high standards of character expected of NHS members
- Pay dues established by the chapter
- Payment Options:
- Check (made payable to Oakland Mills High School)
- Online (please note there is a 4% convenience fee)
- Payment Options:
- Attend membership meetings held monthly
Service hours are due each month. To submit your service hours, complete the Volunteer Record Sheet and turn it in at the monthly meeting. You may also turn your hours in to Ms. T or the vice president.
In need of service hours? There are always opportunities available. Here are some places you might want to check out:
- A fantastic resource! This site lists numerous service opportunities in Howard County. You can search by your zip code to find local places. You can even refine your search to include only those places that are appropriate for teens.
- Volunteer opportunities with this local organization, including making/delivering bag lunches for their shelter, helping with holiday donations, and making items like curtains, placemats, and laundry bags for shelter clients.
Are you currently doing weekly/monthly service? Does your organization need more volunteers? Spread the word! Let your fellow NHS members know about these opportunities.