Oakland Mills High School Early College Program
A Partnership Between OMHS and Howard Community College
In the Early College Program, students will focus on preparing for college level courses while in high school in order to be better prepared for college/university upon graduation. At the end of their senior year at OMHS, students will graduate high school with 30 or more college credits! They will have the opportunity to continue at HCC or they can apply and go to the college/university of their choice. If students apply to a college other than HCC, they will be able to transfer their HCC credits to the college/university of their choice. Most community college credits transfer to four-year institutions, but each college/university is different.
Purpose: To engage in challenging courses to prepare for and take high school credit and college credit (dual-credit) courses beginning sophomore year in high school.
Reasoning: To build critical thinking skills, perseverance, and flexibility to be successful within the ever-changing landscape of our competitive, global society.
ECP Course & Billing Outline
9th Grade Required Courses (2.0 GPA)
- ECP G/T English 9
- Algebra I, G/T Geometry, or G/T Algebra II (Accuplacer or Algebra II PARCC for HCC credit-bearing math course)
*Students in Algebra I have to take Geometry in the summer between Freshman and Sophomore years.
*Algebra II students must pass the Accuplacer or earn a 4 or 5 on Algebra II PARCC in order to continue in the Early College Program.
10th Grade Required Courses (2.5 GPA)
- ECP G/T English 10 (Accuplacer or English 10 PARCC for HCC credit-bearing English course)
- FYEX – embedded in English 10 (2 college credits)
- G/T Algebra II (Accuplacer or Algebra II PARCC for HCC credit-bearing math course) or
- Pre-calculus/MATH 143 and 153 (6 college credits)
- Recommended: AP Government
11th Grade Required Courses (3.0 GPA)
- AP English Language/ENGL 121 (3 college credits)
- Pre-calculus/MATH 143 and 153 (6 college credits) with HEED 106 (1 college credit) or
- AP Calculus AB and BC/MATH 181 and 182 (8 college credits).
12th Grade Required Courses
1 High School course (Orchestra, Band, Chorus, Dance, etc.
- Students who will be taking school-provided transportation will take this class 1st period. The bus will transport students to HCC at 8:30 and return by 2:00.
- Students who provide their own transportation will be able to take their one high school class whenever they can fit it into their college schedule.
CHEM 101 (Fall: 4 credits)
ENGL 210 (Fall: 3 credits)
MATH course (Fall: 4 credits)
General Education course (Fall: 3 credits)
General Education course (Winter: 3 credits)
Science course – Student choice (Spring: 3-4 credits)
SPCH 101/105 (Spring 3 credits)
Social/Behavioral Science course – Student choice (Spring: 3 credits)
Arts and Sciences course – Student choice (Spring: 3-4 credits)
This chart indicates the courses students will take while at OMHS.
FYEX begins sophomore year.
MATH 143 may begin sophomore year if the student took Algebra II GT in his/her freshman year.
As part of the ECP program, families will receive at least 50% off tuition. HCC’s current billing is $132/credit.
ECP Math & English Track
There are two (2) Math Tracks.
- Math Track 1: Student enters high school taking either Algebra I or Geometry and then follows through the Math schedule as indicated by the number 1.
- Math Track 2: Student enters high school taking Algebra II GT and then follows through the Math schedule as indicated by the number 2.